December is Kindness & Caring Month at the Toronto District School Board.
Today we launched our HELPING HANDS at Courcelette PS – a chance for all students to give back and help in their school community, in the Scarborough South-West Community, and as global citizens.
There are several ways students and their families can participate.
- Assist with Santa’s Breakfast on December 1st. Go to :http://courcelettesignup.bringit.bz/public/89b46b
- Sign up to play music at Santa’s Breakfast. See Ms. Gillan. Students and community members are welcome.
- Contribute to the BBNC Share 365 Program (details below). Our ME to WE Group are helping to organize this initiative in the school. This is part of their work with the international ME to WE organization which contributes to global education efforts. All items collected go to the BBNC which is located in our Scarborough neighbourhood.
- We have teamed up with Elizabeth Simcoe PS to collect new & unwrapped toys for boys & girls between 2 and 12 years of age. All toys collected go in Holiday Hampers provided by Scarborough Centre for Healthy Communities.
- Book drive for gently used books. Books will be donated to the “Children’s Book Bank” in Toronto where children can shop for books FREE of charge.
We are collecting all donations between November 26th and December 7th, 2018.
Below are more details about the Share 365 Program.
Pictured: Principal of partner TDSB school Elizabeth Simcoe PS Janna Solman pictured with student organizers. Also, student presenters at the HELPING HANDS assembly. We are proud of all our students’ efforts & hard work. Thank you to Ms. Laverne, the WE Group, Assembly Organizers & House Reps.
BBNC Share 365
This year for the holiday season, our school will once again be helping with the Birchmount Bluffs Neighbourhood Centre (BBNC) Share 365 program. This program has been designed to assist families in need in our community. Our school has volunteered to provide some of these items in order to support these families around the holiday season. We hope that everyone will be able to assist us in collecting these important items.
Please find your child’s class on the back of this page to see what they may choose to donate. The school has been divided into “Houses.” These Houses are made up of 4-5 classes. The Houses will work together to collect the assigned items and they will earn points for the items along the way. We hope to use these Houses as a way to build a further sense of community within our school. As Houses bring in items they will be collected and tallied in the main hall. We will update the school blog every couple of days with numbers so that you are aware of what is still requested. However, please feel free to look at your child’s House poster in the main hall to see what we still have a need for.
The final collection date: Friday, December 7, 2018.
If we have parents available to drop items at the centre that day please let the office or Ms. Laverne know so that we can coordinate. Also, if you have any large boxes at home that we could use to collect and transport the items that would be greatly appreciated.
Please read the following information carefully in order to purchase the correct items for the BBNC:
- Diapers and Pull Ups: Please be careful to check the size of the diaper/pull up that you are purchasing.
- Toothpaste with Fluoride: Please send a regular or large size. Travel sized toothpaste tubes will not be counted.
- Toothpaste without Fluoride: Please send a regular or large size. Travel sized toothpaste tubes will not be counted.
- Toilet Paper: They require family sized packages of toilet paper, which means at least 8 rolls in the package. Loose rolls will not be accepted.
Please find your child’s class below to see what House they are now a part of. We are using these Houses to build a further sense of community at Courcelette. This is a group effort!
KEW House: Fletcher (⅞), Panksep (⅚), Jones/Tarala (K), Reynolds (⅔)
BALMY House: Wilkins (⅞), Moore (⅘), Martin/Campbell (K), Laverne (⅔)
WOODBINE House: Rigo (⅚), Quintin (¾), Choudhuri (½), Pennington (3), Shaw(1)
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!!